PumpkinKnits

Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Glimpse Into My Brain

I'm going to give you a peek into how my monkey brain works. I finally dug out the Judy's Color stocking kit that I picked up about 2 years ago for Dizzle. Her brother has a nice handknit stocking, so I figured she deserved one too. But, I never got inspired to pull it out. Seeing as she's getting old enough to notice, I figured I should maybe get to work on it for this year.



Its knit with Rauma Strikkegarn, a yarn I've never worked with before. It is a wonderful tightly plied 3 ply, not too soft, not super-rough. I really, really love it. It also, as you might imagine from the above photo, comes in a ton of to-die-for colors. As I was happily stocking knitting, it occurred to me that this would be a most-excellent yarn for Babette.

"Babette?", you say. Yes, this Babette (I'm linking you to Maryse's photo of hers, because it was this one that made me want to make one). Two things about this blanket - it is large, and it is crochet. I am not a crocheter, or crochetier, if you prefer, which I do, because it sounds fancy.

About 3 months ago, I picked up a crochet hook in order to teach myself how to crochet, just so I could make this blanket. I've not made any finished objects, but I've practiced granny squares, hexagons, the wool eater blanket, and a few other things.

Back to last week: I was working with the Strikkegarn, thinking it would be perfect for Babette, and my brain decided that I would make Babette now and I would make it with this yarn. I spent embarrassing amounts of time online looking at colors, playing with the random stripe generator and generally obsessing about all things Babette - put yarns into my online cart and nearly bought it all at least 3 different times, but then would doubt my color choices. Adrian saw me Tweet about my obsession, and offered to send her Rauma color cards for me to look at - awesome! But that meant more waiting, if I were to be good and wait to see the colors in real life.

My brain did not want to wait, it wanted to crochet! With pretty colors! An afghan! NOW!!! In order to quell the crochet beast that was taking over my brain, I started a ripple afghan using some Silk Garden and a matchy neutral, both from stash.



That has bought me time to carefully choose colors and order my Rauma, which hopefully will arrive this week.

That is how monkey-brained me goes from knitting a stocking to having 2 afghan projects on the front-burner. Think Dizzle can wait one more year for that stocking?

11 Comments:

Blogger Rows Red said...

Crochet doesn't get nearly enough love, I hope you enjoy your adventure down the hooker path! The ripple looks great, and it seems like you're off to a great start.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Manise said...

Haha! Love your monkey brain. I think you could probably do both the stocking and the blanket(s). Do some of the stocking and use Babette as your carrot/stick/prize after. The faster you knit the stocking the more Babette time you get. Don't you love my reasoning? :-) Pretty colors on all of them btw.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

I see nothing wrong with this approach. (Of course, I might just be saying this because it's totally something I would do...)

5:57 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Wow. Yeah, I would have had to finish the stocking.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Teresa C said...

More like me than you think you are.......

It all looks great, but please don't deprive that poor child of a stocking for one more year!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really need to learn to crochet.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Seanna Lea said...

I think you can do both. Especially if you've done any of the stocking in front of her. You can work on the stocking when she is up and noticing and then go back to your afghans when she is napping or otherwise occupied.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Loved seeing the process in someone else's creativity. One thing leads to another to another. Although most of us don't learn an entire new skill to make a FO.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Burgers Recipes said...

Thank you ffor writing this

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home